Stone’s Bristol Pottery
Stone’s Bristol Pottery.
Harvey did not supply glazes at the Technical College, but relied on the glazing service at Stone’s Bristol Pottery, a commercial firm in Brisbane that ran 1894-1956.
In order to achieve some control over the limited commercial majolica glazes available at Stone’s, the students were encouraged to inscribe the desired glazes into the bases of their pieces. They must have had samples of the end results, and so were able to request colours.
The Gumleaf Jardiniere bears the inscription
“Sepia brown and
little yellow / 2 Blue Beetles
1 Green Beetle “
The results were not always as expected: in this case, there is very little yellow, just a few small splashes to the brown body; two beetles are green, the other one